Spicy Pork Carnitas
I don’t even care if you meal prep, you have to make this meal for lunch or dinner!! It is worth the effort, I promise!
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika (sweet or smokey)
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes OR 1 tablespoon table salt (adjust to your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Juice of 2 limes (1/4 cup lime juice)
- 2 ancho chiles (poblano peppers), deseeded, ribs removed and sliced
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot:
1. Rinse and dry the pork shoulder with a paper towel. Place the pork in the slow cooker or instant pot and add the oil, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and brown sugar on the pork. Rub seasoning all over pork; top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
2. Add the tomatoes and squeeze the lime juices over the pork. Mix everything until well combined.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 to 5 hours. Instant pot put on manual high for about 30 min.
4. Once the meat is fork tender and falling apart, remove from slow cooker/instant pot pull apart to shred.
5. Place the carnitas (shredded meat) onto a baking tray; drizzle with sauce from the slow cooker/instant pot add the ancho chiles (poblano peppers) and allow to grill/broil in a preheated oven on medium-high settings until golden and crispy.
6. Top with shredded lettuce, lime, and avocado.