1 pkg. Italian sausage
2-3 tsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
1 jar pizza sauce, 14 oz.
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 large bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and stem and seeds removed
3 oz. pepperoni, 12 pieces cut in half for the top of the peppers and the rest chopped
2 cups + 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish or large baking sheet with non-stick spray or olive oil.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pan and cook sausage until it is nicely browned.
3. While the sausage cooks, cut 12 pepperoni slices in halves. Cut peppers in half and remove the seeds and cut out the stem end.
4. When sausage is nicely browned, push it to the side and add the onions and garlic. Turn heat to medium and cook onions and garlic 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the sauce and the dried oregano, turn heat to low and simmer until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
6. Fill each pepper with the pizza-stuffing mixture, packing it in, so all the stuffing is used.
7. Bake peppers 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven and add a generous pinch of grated cheese and pepperoni halves to the top of each pepper. Put back in the oven and bake 10 minutes more, or until the cheese is nicely browned, peppers are cooked.