2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 sweet potato, peeled, par-cooked, and diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
15 ounces can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 ounces can diced green chiles
1/3 cup salsa or red enchilada sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Colby jack cheese
1/2 lime, juiced
1. Heat the olive oil in a large (10-12 inch) cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine all of the spices.
3. When the skillet is hot, add in the chicken and spread into an even layer, then sprinkle with half of the spice blend.
4. Sauté the chicken for approximately 3 minutes, then add the onion.
5. Continue to cook for several more minutes or until the onion has softened and the chicken is cooked through.
6. Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining spice blend, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, and salsa or enchilada sauce.
7. Stir together and cook until the mixture is heated all the way through, approximately 2-3 minutes.
8. Squeeze the lime juice over everything, then top with the shredded cheese.
9. Cover with a lid or lay a piece of foil on top of the skillet until the cheese has melted.