For the chicken:
1 1/4 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
¼ cup olive oil
⅓ cup lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic minced
¼ cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1-2 tablespoons chili powder
3 cups cooked white or brown rice or quinoa I used Jasmine White Rice
salt and pepper to taste
1 15- ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo
1 avocado thinly sliced (optional)
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
1. To prepare the marinade, pour the lime juice, olive oil, and water into a large resealable bag. Add the garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, and chili powder.
2. Seal bag and shake to combine. Add the chicken to the bag of marinade, seal and place in fridge – marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
3. Preheat a grill, grill pan, or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through. I use a meat thermometer to check temp.
4. Chop the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces.
5. Divide the rice into 4 bowls. Arrange the chicken, beans, salsa, avocado, sour cream, and lettuce on top of the rice.