Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie (with Homemade Crust)
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 stick. Use Miyokos for dairy-free)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sour cream (Use Kite-Hill or Miyokios for dairy-free. )
- 1 1/2 tsp Rice vinegar
- 1 cup Gluten free all purpose flour (+ 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 15 oz Pumpkin (canned)
- 2 Eggs
- 12 Evaporated milk (1 can, or 1 cup full-fat coconut milk)
- 3 tbsp Ice water
1. For the Crust: Cut the butter into small 1/4-inch pieces and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
3. Combine the ice water, sour cream, and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
4. Process the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor until combined. Scatted the butter over top and pulse until the butter is the size of large peas, about 10 pulses.
5. Add the sour cream mixture and pulse until the mixture begins to clump around the blade, about 10 pulses. (If the mixture doesn't clump after 10 pulses no worries! Pour it into a bowl and smash together with your hands to form a ball.)
6. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Gather into a a flat disc and wrap tightly in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
7. If you refrigerated the dough longer than 1 hour, let the dough sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling. Roll the pie crust out between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap, to ¼ inch thickness.
8. After rolling, remove the top piece of plastic wrap and flip into a 9-inch pie plate. Gently ease the dough into the edges of the pan before removing the 2nd piece of plastic wrap. Trim any excess edges with scissors and shape the edges as desired.
9. Wrap the shaped pie crust loosely in plastic and place in the freezer for 15 minutes or up to 1 hour until chilled and firm.
10. For the Pie: Preheat the oven to 425° F.
12. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
13. Pour filling into the prepared pie shell – pouring any extra filling into ramekins if needed. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350° F and bake for another 40-50 minutes until the custard is set.
14. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Serve chilled with whipped cream!
My friend Erin has a step-by-step on her website that you can follow along with. Check her out here: https://meaningfuleats.com/gluten-free-pumpkin-pie-dairy-free/