Gluten-Free Panda Express Orange Chicken
Chicken Coating and Chicken:
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ⅓ cup + 1tbsp cold water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 8 chicken thigh fillets (skinless and boneless) chopped into bite-size chunks
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup oil for frying (optional)
* 1/2 cup orange juice (no pulp)
* Zest of half an orange
* 6 tbsp sugar
* 5 tbsp coconut aminos
* 2 cloves of garlic minced
* 1 tsp minced ginger
* 1 tsp rice vinegar
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional will add a small amount of heat)
* 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp cold water to form a slurry
* Steamed Rice
- Start by making the batter for the chicken. In a large bowl, add the flour, egg, garlic salt, salt, pepper, and water and mix using a whisk until smooth.
- Place the chopped chicken thighs in a separate bowl and sprinkle on the cornstarch. Toss together, so the chicken is coated in the cornflour.
- Add the chicken to the batter, and mix so the chicken is coated in the batter.
- Add the oil to a wok or large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- While the oil is heating, make the orange sauce. In a medium bowl, mix the orange juice and zest, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and rice vinegar.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook.
- Air Fryer option if you have one. Add your chicken to the air fryer basket, spray with olive oil. Set the air fryer to 390 degrees F for 25 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the chicken and air fry for another 10-15 minutes. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked.
- Add the orange sauce to a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes until slightly thickened. If you want to thicken further, then slowly pour in the cornstarch slurry (1 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp cold water.
- Add the chicken and carefully toss together until the chicken is coated in the sauce.
- Serve the chicken with steamed rice.