Teriyaki Chicken with Veggies
This has got to one of my absolute favorite meals... it tastes so good. I always make extra of this meal to have for my kids for dinner the week I make it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I also saved the step by step in my story highlights.
1/2 cup Braggs liquid aminos
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
3 Tbsp honey
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
Chicken, veggies, and rice:
3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
Ground black pepper
1 medium zucchini, diced into half moons and quartered (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
2 1/2 cups small diced broccoli florets
1 1/2 - 2 cups white or brown rice, cooked according to directions on the package
For the teriyaki sauce:
- In a small saucepan whisk together low-sodium soy sauce, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of the water, the brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger and rice vinegar.
- Bring mixture to a light boil over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together cornstarch with remaining 2 Tbsp water, then add to sauce mixture in saucepan.
- Reduce heat slightly and allow to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
For the chicken:
- Brush both sides of chicken with 1 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil and season pepper.
- Preheat oven to over 350 degrees. Cook chicken until center is at 160 - 165 degrees on a thermometer, about 20 min.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes then dice into cubes.
For the veggies:
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, broccoli, and carrots and saute 4 - 5 minutes until crisp-tender.
To assemble bowls:
- Layer rice into 4 bowls then top each with 1/4 of the chicken and 1/4 of the veggies.
- Drizzle desired amount of teriyaki sauce over tops.