Steak and Sweet Potato Bowl
- (SERVES 3-4)
- 1-1/4lb flank steak (or your favorite steak)
- 1 large sweet potato (1lb,) peeled then chopped into 1" cubes
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby arugula or baby spinach
- cooked rice, for serving
- For the steak marinade: * 1/4 cup gluten-free Tamari or Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 Tablespoons high heat cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 crushed garlic cloves (not chopped garlic - it will burn)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more or less)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Avocado-Cilantro Drizzle:
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2-4 Tablespoons water
- OR Bolthouse makes an avocado cilantro dressing you can use.
1. Add steak marinade ingredients to a gallon Ziplock bag then squish to combine. Then refrigerate for 1-6 hours.
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 425 degrees then spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Add sweet potatoes then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat then spread potatoes into an even layer and roast for 25-30 min.
3. Heat the skillet over heat that's just a touch below high. Add enough high heat cooking oil to create a very thin layer on the bottom of the skillet then, when it begins to smoke, add the steak (add just 1 piece if you cut it in half.) Be careful as the oil might spit a bit, and turn the fan up, too! Let steak sear for 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare, then transfer to a cutting board and repeat with second piece of steak. If you prefer your steak medium or medium-well, add both pieces of steak back into the skillet. Let steak sit for a minimum of 7 minutes on the cutting board before slicing into thin strips against the grain.
4. Add all ingredients for the Avocado-Cilantro Drizzle except water to a small food processor or blender then pulse until roughly chopped. Add 2 Tablespoons water then process until smooth.
5. Arrange bowls together and